Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] brianjohnalford@gmail.com is offline

Default rearranging data

I've been set a fairly big project at work and I need to rearrange the
data in an excel sheet. I'll try and explain it as simply as
possible.

example format at the moment:

Name course result
Brian geog A
Brian maths B
Brian phys C
Brian Sport C
Tom maths B
Tom geog A

There are roughly 5000 rows with 300 seperate names.

format required:

Name geog maths phys
Brian A B C
Tom A A

Each student doesnt do the same amount of courses, so there will be
blanks (like tom doing phys in example). To make my life even more
difficult there is lots of data in the source file I have that doesnt
need to be entered onto the final sheet (like brian's sports result in
example). at the moment I have the source file sorted alphabetically.
What's the best approach to solving this? Any ideas?