Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Meenie Meenie is offline

Default Question on the different symbols used in formulas

Thank you Mike! That is a very helpful page!! I've saved it in my favorites
and will be using it a lot I'm sure!! Thank you so much and for your
explanations below also!!
Meenie :)

"Mike" wrote:

Hi Meenie,

Try here for most of the symbols

http://chacocanyon.com/smm/readings/...perators.shtml

One that you may think is missing is "" i.e the quotes around nothing, well
it means nothing literally for example

=if(A1="",B1,C1)

This asks if A1 is nothing then show the contenst of B1 or if A1 isn't
nothing show C1.

The ! sign is used when referencing other worksheets.

Mike

"Meenie" wrote:

Hi,
Is there a page somewhere that explains how to use the different symbols
that are used in formulas for excel?
I don't understand some of them like ! or quotes around nothing "", etc.
I could figure out a lot better how to build formulas for various things if
these symbols made sense to me.
I can make the basic formulas, but have to ask about more complex ones
because I just don't know how to ask excel to do what I want it to do at
time! :)
This discussion list has been a God-send for me!!
Thanks to everyone here!!! :D
Meenie