Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patti Patti is offline

Default links not updating?

Good thought, but unfortunately didn't work. Here's more detail.
The calculation is set to automatic and I've tried doing an F9 - does
nothing. If I go to EditLinks all the links are shown as unknown. All the
workbooks are open. If I select Update Values - the dialog box says that one
or more links could not be updated - to open all workbooks and press F9 to
update and the status changes to Warning: open source...etc. All the files
are already open. If I select Open source, it says that it's already open.
This has worked fine until just recently, although I can't pinpoint exactly
when this became a problem because I didn't access some of the files for
about a week. I have not installed any new programs and have only updated any
security patches by company requires. Any ideas? Actually 1 link (to day.xls)
does update when i select update values.
Attached is a small sample.
--
thx,
patti

"GoBobbyGo" wrote:

Lately, Excel (I have excel 2003 sp2) has stopped updating links to other
excel files.

When I open the file, I get the same old message about "this document
contains links to other excel files, do you want to update" and i hit yes.
but they don't update.

I can also go to edit--links and update the links there, and still they
don't update.

The two ways I know about to make them update are going to the linked cells
and F2--enter, which gets real cumbersome real fast, and opening the source
file and recalculating, which takes a LONG time.

Is there a setting I may have accidentally tweaked to cause this problem,
and a way to get my traditional methods of updating links to work again?