Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default forcing refresh links

How about something like this:

Option Explicit
Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
Dim myLinks As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

myLinks = Me.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
If IsEmpty(myLinks) Then
'do nothing
Else
For iCtr = 1 To UBound(myLinks)
If IsWorkbookOpen(CStr(myLinks(iCtr))) = True Then
'skip it
Else
Me.UpdateLink Name:=myLinks(iCtr)
End If
Next iCtr

Function IsWorkbookOpen(myFileName As String) As Boolean

Dim JustFileName As String
Dim BackSlashPos As Long
Dim TestWkbk As Workbook

BackSlashPos = InStrRev(myFileName, "\")
JustFileName = Mid(myFileName, BackSlashPos + 1)

On Error Resume Next
IsWorkbookOpen = CBool(Len(Workbooks(JustFileName).Name) 0)
On Error GoTo 0

End Function

Stefi wrote:

My solution is not complete! It works only if linked workbooks are ALL
closed! Any idea how to handle the case when some of them are just open?

Stefi

€˛Stefi€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi Dave,

You won! Creating an event that keeps looking for closing workbooks seems a
bit complicated. But anyway, many thanks, because you put me in the right
direction:

Private Sub Workbook_Activate()
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:= _
ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources, _
Type:=xlExcelLinks
End Sub

of WB A does the trick, because WB B must be the active workbook when I
close it, and having it closed WB A becomes the active workbook, either
automatically or clicking on it. It's satisfactory to have WB A refreshed
when it becomes active next time.

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Stefi€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

€˛Dave Peterson€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

You could always use:
Edit|links|Update values

But I bet you're looking for something more automatic.

Maybe you could have some application event that looks for a workbook that's
closing and then cycles through all the other workbooks and does that same
function.

I don't see anything that's built into excel that would do this automatically.

Stefi wrote:

Hi All,

I have a link in WB A to WB B. When I change the source cell in WB B (it
contains a Boolean value) from FALSE to TRUE, link is refreshed in WB A. But
when I close WB B without saving (keeping the unchanged source value FALSE),
link in WB A is refreshed only when I reopen WB A. My question is that can I
somehow force refreshing link immediately when I close WB B without saving?

Thanks,
Stefi

--

Dave Peterson