Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bobby02169 bobby02169 is offline

Default Can I rename the column letters a,b,c etc. in excel 2003

Thankyou, that works great.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

bobby

You cannot change the column header letters or row header numbers. These are
fixed by Excel.

A workaround is is to have your names in row 1.

Insert a column left of Column A and in A2 enter =ROW()-1

Copy that down as far as you wish.

Now go to ToolsOptionsView and uncheck "row and column headers"

Select B2 and WindowFreeze Panes.

This will leave row 1 and column A frozen in view as you scroll down or across.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 09:44:00 -0700, bobby02169
wrote:

I would like to rename the columns in excel 2003, for example instead of A
showing up in the top column, I would like it to be name.
Or I would like to add a row between the letters and row 1, without it being
numbered.
The reason for this I would like row 1 to show name 1, it now appears in row
2, because I have name as a header in row 1.
Thanks for any help.