Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cyndiwise notsowise cyndiwise notsowise is offline

Default Calculate next number using dates?

Thanks for your quick reply, T. Valko. You are correct, there should never be
more than 99 instances of the same date (far less, I'm sure!)

However, I tried the formula and it numbers every instance of the date the
same. I need the numbers to be unique for every instance:
38116.01
38116.02
38116.03
and so on...

Do you think this is possible?

cyndiwise

"T. Valko" wrote:

If there are more than 100 instances then the date will advance after
38116.99

I'm guessing that that is not a possibility?

=A1+COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)/100

Copy down as needed. Format as GENERAL to get the serial number.

Biff

"cyndiwise notsowise" wrote
in message ...
Here's what I'm trying to do:
Using Excel's date serial numbers, create a unique value for every
instance
of the same date in a column.

For instance, if there are two instances of the date 5/9/2004 in the same
column, then I want to display a value similar to this in the same row of
different column: 38116.01 for one instance, and with the next instance
having this value: 38116.02. This value should increase incrementally by
.01
every time a new instance of the same date is added to the column.

I hope this makes sense and that it's possible with a formula, not a
macro.
Thanks in advance for your help!