Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
annie annie is offline

Default can i do this type of stacking column chart? (and how?)

as a non-mathematically-minded designer type, i could really use some
help!

i need to create some stacking column charts whe

- the value axis represents money, in a particular scale, in
particular increments

- the x axis represents different companies

- each bar represents the MINIMUM, MIDPOINT and MAXIMUM amounts of
money spent by each company, graphed against the value scale of money

For example, say the scale is $1 to $100 in $10 increments. Company A
spends a minimum of $5, a midpoint of $50 and a maximum of $70. I need
the bar in the graph for company A to have three color segments, one
of which goes from $0 to $5, the next from $5 to $50 and the last from
$50 to $70, and then it stops. Same for Companies B, C, etc.

Now, I know I cannot use the type of stacked bar chart where the
values have to add up to 100%, as that is not the case in this
scenario. Thus, I have used the OTHER stacked column chart type
offered by Excel, which is just called Stacked Column.

The problem is that it stacks the FULL AMOUNTS for each category (min,
max, mid) on top of one another, instead of letting one pick up where
the other leaves off.

So, I get a chart, where, following the example I gave above, Company
A has a column segment from $0-5, then from $5-55 (adding 50 to 5) and
then from $55-75 (adding 20 to 55). So, looking at the chart, it looks
like Company A's maximum is $75. At least, I'm pretty sure that's
what's going on.

Is there some way I can make these charts the first way I described
instead? It's odd, because the first way described is the default for
this chart type in Illustrator... but Illustrator is too much of a
pain for this project. Hoping someone will reveal Excel's secrets to
me... thanks!