Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Calculate difference in Times

NO ...only C BUT even if they are formatted as C it will still wotk.

A & B are date/times CUSTOM= mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm (I assume US format)

Are you sure the fields are dates not text as if the fields are displayed as
you show in your posting they CANNOT be formatted as [HH]:MM as the date
would not be present?

If you want more help send sample to:

toppers at REMOVETHISjohntopley.fsnet.co.uk

"Darren" wrote:

A B
1 02/04/2007 12:30:00 02/04/2007 12:56:03 =B1-A1

all 3 columns have been formated to Category Custom type [hh]:mm

Am I getting it all right? I still get #Value. I gotta start banging my
head on a wall :)

Darren

"Toppers" wrote:

For hours = 24 format as [hh]:mm

"Darren" wrote:

If you get this to work, could you email me a copy of the spreadsheet:

Thanks
Darren

"Toppers" wrote:

Darren,
It DOES work ... I have just tried it with your data and get
a result of 1:25 (hh:mm).

And you get #VALUE because (if) you have A1-B1 which is NEGATIVE: Try B1-A1
!!!!!!

"Darren" wrote:

Thanks David, but as I have already said, that formula did not work...
Besides, how would hh:mm work when you not only have times, but also dates in
the same box. like I said, I am trying to find the difference in the
following:

A1 = 4/2/2007 11:50:00 AM
B1 = 4/2/2007 1:15:00 PM

If you claim this works, then I guess I'm out of luck. I am running Excel
2003 SP2.

I don't think you guys are reading my entire posting. My cell contains
mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM. Thats all in one cell. Not just time. Yes,
hh:mm will work if I just had time.

Now, does anyone know if I can find the difference when A1 and B1 have the
data shown above?
Thank you.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

The suggestion has already been given by Toppers. Use that formula.
--
David Biddulph

"Darren" wrote in message
This did not work. A1 = 4/2/2007 11:50:00 AM
B1 = 4/2/2007 1:15:00 PM
When I format the cells for hh:mm, C1=A1- B1 gives me #Value. I tried
formatting the cells to mm/dd/yyyy h:mm:ss AM/PM, but still getting
#Value.

Suggestions?

"Toppers" wrote:

A1 start time
B1 end time
C1 =B1-A1

format as hh:mm

"Darren" wrote:

How can I get the difference in time from 10:35:00 to 11:45:00.
I have a program to exports the following to excel:
2/9/2007 12:45:00 PM [start time]
2/9/2007 4:15:00 PM [end time]

How can I create a formula to give me the diffence in these times?