Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith Fred Smith is offline

Default Referencing another WB's cells, but not formulas/values.

Use Match to find the row number the student is on in WS A, and then Index to
access a particular cell on that row. Then copy or formulate the result in each
column (depending on how you get 'FTO' from 'Absent'). Something like:

B2: =index(WSA!A:Z,match(a2,WSA!A:A,0),2)

Fred

"anna" wrote in message
I have an attendance worksheet (A) and need to create an addition spreadsheet
(B) that will reference only the names from the first worksheet.

My issue is that WS A is constantly changing (names added/deleted) and WS B
needs to keep the rows matched up with the correct people (see below):

WS A

Jan 1 Jan 2
Jon Doe Absent
Jack Bauer Absent
Zoe Zoe

WS B

Jon Doe FTO
Jack Bauer FTO
Zoe Zoe

.... SO, Jon Doe was deleted... WS B would look like this:

Jack Bauer FTO
Zoe Zoe FTO

Which is incorrect... any suggestions?