Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Matching names in two columns

I'm not sure from your description why

=VLOOKUP(A1,'Worksheet 1'!A:B, 2, FALSE)

won't work...

In article . com,
wrote:

I am trying to match names in two different columns (one on one tab/
worksheet and one on another, although technically is doesn't have to
be seperate worksheets) and when a match is found to copy the info in
the next column to the right (from the same row) over to second
column. Example:

A B
1 John Doe 77%
2 Jane Doe 44%
3 Bill Smith 22%
4 Alex Cane 88%
5 Rob Jones 55%
6 Lisa Johnson 43%

The info above is from worksheet 1. On worksheet 2 I have the same
list of names in column A above. I need to find a formula to put in
Clumn B on worksheet 2 that says "Look at the name in Column A on
Worksheet 2 and then look at the name in Column A on Worksheet 1. When
you find a match, copy the corresponding info from Row B to the right
of the matched name and put it in Column B on worksheet 2 in the cell
in Column B next to the matched name. Vllkup nor Index/Match seem to
work because I am not just trying to match one name, I need, I
suppose, to have a macro that will look through the whole list of
names and match them all and copy all of the info from Column B on
worksheet 1 to wrksheet 2. Hope I explained that correctly.