Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] mahadevan.swamy@gmail.com is offline

Default Co-ordinates

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for your unique solution. It helped me a lot. I would like to
know how I can summarize the table of values that I got. For example,
I got a row of 1's, so I want the result to be a 1 for the particular
sensor. If there is 0 or X anywhere in the row, I want the result to
be 0 or X. There can be only one value for the sensor. Is there a
function that will do this job? Thanks for your help

Mahadevan Swamy

On Mar 28, 9:11 am, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org
wrote:
Mahadevan,

You could make a table, with the 'sensor' circle data starting in row 5, in columns B (X
coordinate), C (Y coord), and D (R values). Put the 'hole' circle data, starting in Column E in
rows 2 (X coord), 3 (Y coord), and 4 (R value). (Row 1 and column A could be used for data).

Then in cell E5:

=IF(SQRT(($B5-E$2)^2+($C5-E$3)^2) = ($D5+E$4),"Touching", IF(SQRT(($B5-E$2)^2+($C5-E$3)^2) <=
ABS($D5-E$4),"Completely Overlapping",IF(SQRT(($B5-E$2)^2+($C5-E$3)^2) < ($D5+E$4),"Partially
Overlapping",
"Separated")))

Copy this to match both your sensor and hole data, from E5, to say, E5:AA40, and you will get a
table of values - again, change the strings to whatever numeric values you want to have returned.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your solution. I have a very complicated problem. The
problem is that I have a big circle which consists of 32 small circles
oriented in different places. These circles are sensors that has to
read a part. When the blueprint of the part is placed on top of these
sensors, these sensors should read the part. This blueprint consists
of holes in the drawing and where ever there is a hole on top of the
sensor, the sensor should read 0 or else a 1. That;s why we were
discussing a small aspect of the problem.

I have a row that consists of X, Y and R coordinates for each hole in
the part and a list of sensors with their X,Y and R coordinates. I am
trying to build a logic that will help me to see whether the sensor is
in the range of the hole and execute decisions to produce some
results. I would like to send my files to you if you want to take a
look at them to understand them better. I would appreciate your help
on this. Thanks

Mahadevan

On Mar 27, 12:56 pm, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org
wrote:
Mahadevan,

Simple algebra: The distance between two points is the square root of the sum of the squares of
the
differences between the X values and Y values (Pythagorean Theorom):

With X values in row 1, Y values in row 2, R values in row 3, and values for circle one in column
A,
circle 2 in column B:

=IF(SQRT((A1-B1)^2+(A2-B2)^2) = (A3+B3),"Touching", IF(SQRT((A1-B1)^2+(A2-B2)^2) <=
ABS(A3-B3),"Completely Overlapping",IF(SQRT((A1-B1)^2+(A2-B2)^2) < (A3+B3),"Partially
Overlapping",
"Separated")))

There are four possible states: not touching, just touching, partially overlapping, completely
overlapping. You can change the strings in the formulas to whatever values you want to return.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote in message

groups.com...

Hi,
I have two circles. I have the co-ordinates and radius of the first
circle and the second circle. The condition that should be checked is,
if the co-ordinates of the second circle is in the range of the first
circles, then it should assign a value (0, 1, or X) based on the
condition.

For example, the co-ordinates and radius of the first circle is (x,y,
r) = (1.080, 3.520, 0.062) and for the second circle, it is (x,y, r) =
(0.922, 3.4411, 0.295). I want to check if the second circle is in the
range on the first circle and if it is in the range, the value should
be 0. If the second circle is out of range, the value should be 1. If
the second circle is blocking the first circle or very closely
touching the first circle, the value should be X. The answer to the
proposed problem should be 0 as I have a picture.

Are there any co-ordinate functions in excel? I would appreciate if
anyone can help me to build a good formula for this problem. Thanks- Hide quoted text -