Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JB2010 JB2010 is offline

Default index / lookup / match / text formula

hi there

i am trying to build a formula that will reference the row & column headings
of a cell ref depending on its contents.

for example, lets say ive got a table like this;
A B C D
1 Jan Feb Mar
2 Sales 100 120 155
3 Costs 80 95 120
4 Total 20 35 35

i am looking to put together what i think will be a merge of LookUp, Index,
Match & Text formulas in an unused cell, E5, to say;

search in cells B2:D4, if any value is over 150, return the text of the
column heading then &" "& then the text of the row heading.

in this instance, cell E5 would therefore say "Mar Sales".

i have seen IndexMatch formulas work the other way (i.e. I specific "Mar" &
"Sales" & it returns the values (155), but never this way round

anyone got any ideas? please let me know if you need any more info

cheers

jb