Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
[email protected] bond-jamesbond@excite.com is offline

Default Using a single cell value to repopulate multiple cells

Hello,

Appreciate the help on this thread, as I have been puzzling with a
similar issue recently.

Mine, however, is that the cell that I want to be "changeable" would
actually hold a reference to another workbook entirely. I create
excel models on a regular basis that all have the same worksheet
names, but each time I update I save it as a new workbook. (so the
sheet names remain constant)

E.g.

On my current worksheet, cell B7 currently holds a network address to
another workbook - P:\FOLDER\oldsample.xls

I would like to be able to change whatever workbook address is in B7
and have the cells on my current sheet update with the new reference.

For instance, on my current worksheet I want cell D7 to display the
value of Row 1 Column 2 of the worksheet "TEST" found in any of the
workbooks I put into cell B7.

(e.g. if B7 references "\oldsample.xls", I want D7 to display the
value of 'TEST'!$A$2 from sample.xls , but if I change B7 to another
workbook like "\newsample.xls" I want D7 to update and display the
value of 'TEST'!$A$2 from newsample.xls)

(or, to simplify, how can I make it so when I change the workbook
address in B7 that the formulas in D7, E7, F7, G7, etc., all draw
their cell reference from that new workbook?)

Is it even possible to source this info from external workbooks? I
have tried fiddling with both the ADDRESS and INDIRECT functions but
am getting error messages.

Comments / fomulas appreciated. Apologies if the question seems
convoluted, explaining an excel issue in text is more complicated than
I expected. :)