Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default importing csv files- entire record goes into each column

From the OP:
"I went into control panel and Regional/Laguages-- Customize and it already
said that the separator char was a comma..."
--
David Biddulph

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Could it be that the windows regional setting list separator is set to
something
else (a semicolon is common in parts of the world).

In winXP:
windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options
On the Regional Options tab
click the Customize button

On the numbers tab, check the list separator box.

Bill wrote:

Thanks Nick-

I should have mentioned that our new student records syetm (SCT
Banner) is tossing the file (via IE) into Excel, so we actaully Can't (
[=]8 ) remove the ".csv" file extension. I tried deleting it from the
'filetypes' section of the control panel 'folders' menu and the
'custom' section of "regional language" but everything appears to be
set correctly and this is the only pc with the problem. It's not a huge
thing but not being able to find the reason bugs me. . . .it's almost as
if it doesn't recognize the "," as the separator. . .

thanks for the reply!
Bill

Nick Hodge wrote:
Bill

Don't know why it's suddenly happened, but take the .csv off the file,
navigate to FilesOpen... and set files of type to all, navigate to
the
file and this will open the text import wizard, you can set the
delimiter as comma via this route

--

Dave Peterson