Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar Elkar is offline

Default can you sort a bunch of tables going vertically?

See if this works for you. Rather than sorting your data as Tables, use a
helper column.

Insert a new column to the left of your data
In the first cell of the new column (I'll use A1 for this example), enter
the formula: =B1
In A2, enter: =IF(ISNUMBER(--LEFT(B2,1))),A1,B2)
Copy cell A2 down through all of your data
Now, sort your data base on column A
Your data should now be sorted alphabeticlally
You can now delete column A, or hide it if you want to use it again in the
future

HTH,
Elkar

"Markus" wrote:

Hi there everyone. A customer of mine recently sent me a word document full
of names and phone numbers. There is no unique and consistent method for how
he did this, and it is very disorganized. It also is not in alphabetical
order..

It's basically setup like this:

Joe Shmoe
123-123-1234
123-123-1235 office
123-123-1236 cell

etc..etc.. And there are hundreds of names in there.. I copied and pasted
the word document directly in to Excel..

It would seriously take hours if not days to reorganize this whole list in
to a proper list, so I'm wondering if there is a quick method for sorting all
this stuff in alphabetical order..

Now this might have been pointless on my part, but just for the heck of it,
I highlighted each individual name and the numbers that belong to that name,
and put them in it's very own table.. So there's basically like 300-400
tables going vertically in one column.. The person's name is actually the
header of each table..

Is there any way to sort those tables? If I can't use Excel to sort tables,
does anyone know of another way to go about doing it?

Thanks for your help.. Sorry for the ridiculousness..