CyberTaz

Although you can use text fields in the Data area of a Pivot table, there are
only certain ways it can be analyzed (Count, etc.). That area shows the
result of summary calculations, and you can't "average" Carnival, Circus,
SideShow & Menagerie to come up with a valid result. A count of each that
occur on certain dates &/or in certain cities, yes, but it will not report
the text back into the data area no matter how you format those cells.

Try approaching the design of your pivot table from other directions, and
take advantage of the "Page" feature to get what you are looking for!

HTH |:)

"Neil" wrote:

For the life of me i can't figure out how to make my pivot table display text
values instead of numbers. I have a spreadsheet with events and dates and
i'm trying to create a table that can display events uder certain dates,
states, cities, or companies. Please Help!