Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Assigning a number value to text

A1: "manager" (no quotes, no =) ... with value of 28

B1: =EVAL(A1)*10 will give result of 280

HTH

"SoupNazi" wrote:

Does anyone know how to get Excel to recognize a word as a numeric value? I
have gone into InsertNameDefine and assigned a numeric value to the word.
Lets say the word is "Manager" and the value is "28.00". The job title and
hourly wage. If I type "Manager' into a formula it will count it as 28.00,
which is good, but if I refer to a cell that has "Manager' in it, it does not
recognize it as a number. Thanks for the help.