Ken Russell

-3^2 is the same as -3*-3 which equals 9 not -9

At least that's what I was taught over 60 years ago.

--
Ken Russell

Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
..

"Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote in message
I've recently noticed that Excel flies in the face of standard scientific,
mathematical and engineering convention in the calculation of powers for
numbers that are then multiplied by a negative.

The convention of mathematics, "BIMDAS" (or similar acronyms), states that
_I_ndices (or powers, or exponents), should be calculated before
_M_ultiplication. Because of this, the following is accepted as correct:

-3^2 = -9.

This is because it is the equivalent of (-1) * 3^2 = -1 * 9 = -9

However, Excel chooses to recognise this as (-3)^2 = 9.

This error is particularly problematic when doing algebraic computations
in
such a tool as Mathematica and then copying the result into Excel in input
form. That is,

-x^2 - -A1^2
- -A1^2
(Mathematica) (Mathematica with reference substituted) (Excel)

To correct the error, one must manually change it to: -(A1^2)

QUESTIONS
1: Why does Excel have this convention!
2: Is there any way to change it/make is more convenient?

I've only recently noticed this (which is quite scary to think how many
errors I may have made in the past!)

Thanks for your time,

Cheers,
Peter