Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC Rippstein hotmail com> KC Rippstein hotmail com> is offline

Default Monthly Budget Breakdown

To do what you want, you'd have to use a macro.

You would generally set up your data entry sheet as a continuous recordset
that does not abruptly stop. The month (and data validation) would be set up
in column A, then your transactions are entered row by row for however long
you want.

Then your summary report can be set up as a pivot table to, say, show only
data for January or show summary data YTD by category.

This is why the data entry page is not necessarily your clean and polished
reporting page. Usually those functions are handled on separate worksheets
using Pivot Tables/lookup formulas, or by using fancy tools on one worksheet,
such as various things on the Data menu (Group and Outline, Subtotals, List,
AutoFilter, etc.).

The way you describe what you are doing sounds like you really want a User
Form. You might learn how to do that (Excel has a rudimentary one built in
that you can try...go to the Data menu and select Form).

--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"GF_Chris" wrote:

I am trying to simplify my budget. On the first sheet you select your month
(validation) and then input your reciepts. The second sheet outputs a sum of
the monthly expenses. The problem is when you select a different month, the
data shifts to that month. I can't figure out how to save the data in the
"January" column when I select "February" on the first sheet. I know that I
could have different sheets for each month, but I figured there has to be a
way to continue with what I have. Please Help.