Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Spelling comparison

Just a warning...
That will find Ho in any position in the cell

And another:
=if(left(b6,2)="ho",10,0)

Teethless mama wrote:

Another way....

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Ho",B6)),10,0)

"Richard" wrote:

Hi everyone - I run a track meet for twelve grade schools. My Excel score
sheet involves recording the winning student's name and school in one
section. In another section I compare the school name and award points for
that event if there is an exact match. The problem is if I misspell the
school name, the sheet fails to award any points. My function used (for
example, if the school name is "Hoover") is:
"=if (B6="Hoover", 10,0).
Is there a way to compare names with a wildcard so that a misspelling
doesn't doom my calculation. When typing fast, I might inadvertently type in
"Hover" instead of "Hoover." I would like to be able to use a wildcard such
as "Ho*" but can't seem to get that to work. Any thoughts?
--
Richard M. Perry

--

Dave Peterson