Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
cac1966 cac1966 is offline

Default want to copy formula, only change one number in formula

Thanks max, it didnt work a #ref1 was returned. I tried to manipulate the
formula but I kept getting the same error. Here is an example of what I am
trying to do:

PO# Date Description...
6600 *
6601 *

in the date column I want it to fill in the dates from the Purchase orders
automatically. I referenced the PO#'s originally in the formula and it would
extract the dates, descriptions, etc.. The original formular I used was
='PO#6600'!f7 and it worked fine. In order for it to do this with all the
Purchase Orders I had to change the "6600" in the formula to 6601, 6602, etc.
and the "f7" referenced the date from each PO. When I copied the formula it
would change the F7 and not the PO#. Basically I want the opposite. The F7
to stay the same and the PO# to change by increments of 1. If you could
provide more help I would greatly appreciate it.

Rick

"Max" wrote:

One way ..

Place this in the starting cell, eg in B2:
=INDIRECT("'PO#"&ROW(A1)+6600&"'!F7")
Copy down as far as required

If you are copying it across, use instead in B2:
=INDIRECT("'PO#"&COLUMN(A1)+6600&"'!F7")
--
Max
Singapore
"cac1966" wrote:
I am using a main worksheet in a workbook to capture information from other
worksheets within the workbook. I want to copy formulas without changing all
the formula. I only want to change 1 value when copying. Example:

='PO#6601'!F7

The only number I want to change when copying this formula is the "6601" I
want it to increase by one each time the formula is copied. I want
everything else to stay the same especially the "F7". This program is a
purchase order program with a ledger which saves all the information with
each new purchase order I record on a separtate worksheet.