Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Condense list (remove blanks)

try:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/noblanks.htm

--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200709

"socram" wrote:

I'm trying to condense a column (AF4:AF70) into a column that only has
cells with text. I want this to happen dynamically (with a formula)
Right now there are about 8-14 cells that actually have text in them.
Each cell in the column is a formula that, when it should be blank,
returns "" (i'm guessing that counts as blank?). That formula is
below:

=IF(OR(R72="",R72=2,R72=3,,R72=4,R72=23,R72=24,R72 =34,ISERROR($Z72)),"",IF(OR(R72="x",R72=12,R72=13, R72=14,R72=1),
$Z72,$Z72&"("&R72&")"))

I've been using the following formula, that I found on the web (I
found a similar one on this forum, but this one got me closer): (I put
this formula in AF72 and copy down)

{=INDEX(AF$4:AF$70,SMALL(IF(AF$4:AF$70<"",ROW(AF$ 4:AF$70),1000),ROW()-
ROW(AF$72)+1)-ROW(AF$72)+1)}

I know this is an array, and while I don't understand exactly all that
that entails, I know that you have to use CTRL/Shift/Enter to put it
in. When I do that, I get lists that begin with #Value! errors (the
number of which equal the number of cells with text) and the rest of
the way is with #REF! errors. In my mind I'm close! The formula at
least recognizes the number of items that I want moved into this new
list - but it puts a value error instead of the actual text. I've
repeated this several times - if i add a cell with text, I get another
#value error.

Any ideas, or better formulas? Thank you so much.

Marcos