Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike Mike is offline

Default Need to set up a chart for BTU usage on Natural gas and Electric

Your use of BTU suggest you come from the UK and therefore like myself
tracking the cost of gas and electricity is not the simplest matter but can
be done.

Electricity. This is simple in that you need to record meter readings at
billing time and then (new reading-old reading)gives Kw used. Multiply this
by cost per Kw and your done.

Gas. Much more difficult. Generally meters are calibrated in Cu metres so
the start of the process is the same (new reading-old reading)= cu metres
used. This then has to be converted into Kw and multiplied by the calorific
value so:-

(CuM * 1.02264 * 39.6 * cost per Kw) and your nearly there but
not quite. The calorific value of the gas varies month on month so this must
be set up as a variable.

Life then gets considerably more complicated in that generally the first x
CuM consumed are charged at a higher rate and to finally get around to
answering your question I couldn't find an 'off the peg' spredasheet to do
this so you will probably have to write your own.

Mike

"FrankB" wrote:

Would like to see a spreadsheet and chart for Utilities in my home. Also to
see the cost of gas and electricity usage per BTU.