Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier Roger Govier is offline

Default Interesting Formula Problem

Hi Michael

With a formula in column E of =SUM(B2:D2) then
If you insert a column before E, the formula will automatically adjust
to =SUM(B2:E2), =SUM(B2:G2) etc.

If you drag cell D2 with 1000 as it's value to E2, you will overwrite
the formula with the value 1000

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Michael" wrote in message
=sum(b2:d2)

"Beege" wrote in message
. ..
Michael Laferriere wrote:
Hi Folks - Interesting issue in Excel ... I have a sheet that looks
like this:

Jan Feb Mar Total
Rent 1000 1000 1000 3000
Utilities 500 500 500 1500

The Total column is calculated with the sum function. If I insert a
column to the left of the totals columns, then enter manually 1000
for Rent, the formula recalculates to include the new column.
Perfect! However, if I "fill" the 1000 from the Mar column to the
new column, the formula does not recalculate. Odd! Any ideas why?
Thanks.

What's the formula look like that you have in the total column?

Beege