Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Default Excel 2007 Scatter Plot Freak Out!

Paul Z -

How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? <

Chart Tools | Layout | (Labels) Chart Title | ...
and
Chart Tools | Layout | (Labels) Axis Titles | ...

Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one
add a 2nd degree polynomial trend line ... <

and
when I try to do that <

So, it seems you do know how to add a polynomial of order 2 trendline, but
you don't like the result. When I use four points and "look at the data" and
there is an obvious curvilinear relationship, Excel produces an appropriate
quadratic fit. If I use four points that are exactly linear, Excel does not
include the squared term in the best fit.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

"Paul Z." wrote in message
I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions:

Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU
computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl? Is this a feature? It's never
done
that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application.

How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? Not that I need
them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels. That way
the charts can be interpreted any way they please. Yet another feature?

Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one
add
a 2nd degree polynomial trend line to the data? And why is it when I try
do that and display the polynomial equation on the chart a linear equation
is
displayed? Is Excel 2007 dropping the 2nd degree factor from the trend
line
label or is Excel 2007 refusing to do a quadratic fit because it thinks I
do
not have enough data points? Another feature, right?