Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric Eric is offline

Default Copy from Word to Excel, and retain indent, plus word wrap

I've got some text in Word 2003, formatted using Word's standard outline
indent formatting.

(This is a standard Word format, in which Word formats the text as a series
of paragraphs (multi-line text), in hierarchical outline form. Each level is
indented slightly from the previous level (for example, Level 1 is at left
margin, Level 2 has 1/4 inch indent, Level 3 has 1/2 inch, Level 4 has 3/4
inch, etc.). Each paragraph starts with a bulllet, with a different bullet
character for each level.)

I'd like to copy to Excel 2003 and look approximately the same. When I do
this through simple copy-and-paste, Excel puts each paragraph into a cell.
Indentation and bullet characters are retained. However, there is no word
wrap - each paragraph is on a single line, extending possibly far to the
right.

When I then add word-wrap (Format / Cells / Alignment / Word Wrap), Excel
retains the bullet characters, but loses the indentation. Everything is
left-justified.

I've confirmed that word wrap is not inconsistent with cell indent; I can
take a word wrapped cell and indent it. So I could achieve the desired
format if I manually add the indents for each cell, but that's obviously
cumbersome.

Is there any easier way? (I.e. Copy text from Word to Excel, retain word
wrap, retain indent.)

Thanks.