Del Cotter

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
OLLIE said:

I have a XY Scatter that I would like to use as a Bubble
Chart to show a third quality (e.g bubble size = Sales
Growth). The problem is two fold:

1. Too many bubbles
2. The number can be negative

What if you made the bubbles smaller, and arranged somehow for negative
numbers to be represented by bubbles of a different colour?

Or, have you considered using the "error bars" facility to mimic the
effect you want? Bubble charts can do it too, giving each data point
theoretically seven degrees of freedom (X, Y, bubble size, x-error plus
and minus, y-error plus and minus) There's a limit to how thick I can
make the error bars in Excel 2000, but they certainly provide
information at a glance.

(I played around with 3D bar charts in Excel 95, but they don't really
do what you want. If only they had 3D scatter column graphs: z-height
columns scattered on an x-y base)

--
Del Cotter
Thanks to the recent increase in UBE, I will soon be ignoring email