Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] rtilghman@gmail.com is offline

Default Testing same cell across multiple sheets for a string and counting each instance?

On Mar 7, 11:44 pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
Try using wildcards:

=IF(ISTEXT(A253),SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&$ O
$6&ROW(INDIRECT("1:65"))&"'!I28"),"*"&A253&"*"))," ")

Biff

Bingo, appears to work like a charm. Thanks a bunch Biff. I'll admit
I don't even understand how the wildcards are working here, but I'm
happy they do. :)

BTW, regarding Joel's option and my response... had a "duh" moment and
figured out that I hadn't held down CTRL/ALT when I clicked Enter to
make the entry an Array for the SUM approach. I did and was able to
get an array of variables, though they resolve to VALUE! for some
reason that I wasn't able to determine. I think that approach could
probably work too, but I'm afraid I'm not good enough to figure it
out.

Again, thanks for the help, GREATLY appreciated!

Best,
Rick