Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] rtilghman@gmail.com is offline

Default Testing same cell across multiple sheets for a string and counting

On Mar 7, 11:20 pm, Joel wrote:
find returns only the poistion where the string is found. thsi only make
sense if the position is the 1st position, otherwise yu would be getting
strange answers. If think you need to put the find function inside an if
statements like

=sum(if(FIND(A259,SearchString)0,1,0))

Thsi will return a 1 if a the string is found and 0 if it is not found.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Okay, makes sense, however, how do
I get this routine to cycle through an array of cells rather than just
one? In the original routine the SUMPRODUCT entry gives me an array
of the different cells to reach across. When I remove it the INDIRECT
sequence just returns a reference to the first SHEET/CELL with no
array.

Sorry if this seems basic, I found the SUMPRODUCT routine used by
someone else and basically adapated it, so I don't really know why
SUMPRODUCT allows me to get an array of cells as opposed to just one
from the INDIRECT method.

Thanks,
Rick