Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default count text occurences in a column

If you already have a list of the unique values, an amended version of the
formula I posted would return the count of cells that contain that value.

Example:
E2: PROVIDER_SPELLS
The count of cells containing that value
F2: =COUNTIF(A:A,"*"&E2&"*")

E3: PROF_CARER_EPISODES
The count of cells containing that value
F3: =COUNTIF(A:A,"*"&E3&"*")

If you need something else, though....perhaps you could give a small example
of the source data and the structure of the final table.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Daniel_ITSM" wrote:

Hi Ron,

I do have another coumn that shows the unique entries,but then how do I get
a count of Provider Speels without having to enter a hundred formulas?

Thanks!

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

With
Col_A containing various text entries or blanks

This formula returns the count cells that contain the text string:
"PROVIDER_SPELLS"
=COUNTIF(A:A,"*PROVIDER_SPELLS*")

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Daniel_ITSM" wrote:

I am not proficient with Excel. My challenge is to find out how many times a
term is used in a very long column.
PROF_CARER_EPISODES
PROF_CARER_EPISODES, PROVIDER_SPELLS
CASENOTES
PROVIDER_SPELLS

SYSTEM_PROFILES

LETTER_CONFIGURATIONS

SERVICE_POINT_STAYS
LDD_LOCAL_DATAVALUES
WAITING_LIST_HISTORIES
PROF_CARER_EPISODES
PROF_CARER_EPISODES
PROF_CARER_EPISODES, SERVICE_POINT_STAYS

LDD_LOCAL_DATAVALUES
LDD_LOCAL_DATAVALUES
DIAGNOSIS_PROCEDURES

ADDRESS_ROLES
ADDRESS_ROLES

PROF_CARER_EPISODES
PATIENTS
PROVIDER_SPELLS, SERVICE_POINT_STAYS

Since some cells have more than one value, how can I break them out to count
how many occurences there are?