Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Remove ' character from copied excel cell to match data

Ahhh. I thought you were doing them one by one.

The only problem I had was when I selected a range (or column), I had to make
sure that the activecell in that selection had the problem.

After I did that, it was very quick.

James Silverton wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
What you're doing is fine--if you have a small quantity of
values that need to
be fixed. But if you had 64k or 1mb of data that needed to be
fixed, you may
want to do it a different way.

James Silverton wrote:

Can you tell me if I am doing something wrong with this
problem?
I am using Office 2002 and, if I select the column of cells
with
text representations, I get the signal "number stored as
text"
and clicking "convert to number" seems to be make the
necessary
change. This works even if some of the cells are really
numbers.
I have had similar problems to the OP with inherited data or
that entered by others.

Oh, I see. The conversion process does take an appreciable
amount of time, tho' even an array of 50 000 text numbers took
under a minute. The paste special route has the advantage of
being faster, I guess.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland