Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default pivot

To reorganize the data, you can use the 'unpivot' technique described by
John Walkenbach:

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm

wrote:
Is it possible to transpose (pivot) data in excel? I know that there
is a pivot option is excel but I could not get excel to work it the
way I wanted. Suppose I have the following table (the second row has
the column headers. Therefore, the first row is the excel column
headers A through E. Then the next row has the column headers. A and B
are blank or can have column headers such as 'id' and 'fruit'. The
next three column headers are date values that need to be transposed:

A B C D E
blank blank 1/1/02 1/2/02 1/3/02
1 Orange 10 20 30
2 Apple 5 10 15
1 Grape 10 10 10

I was expecting something like following:
1 Orange 1/1/02 10
1 Orange 1/2/02 20
1 Orange 1/3/02 30
2 Apple 1/1/02 5
2 Apple 1/2/02 10
2 Apple 1/3/02 15
1 Grape 1/1/02 10
1 Grape 1/2/02 10
1 Grape 1/3/02 10

Is it possible and how? Also, I know there are other tools that are
available to do this type of manipulation (transposition) but if excel
can do this then I don't have to use tools from third party.
Thanks.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures