Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default data sort defaults

If you can pick out a column in that range that always has data in it, you could
use a dynamic range name that grows and contracts with your data.

Debra Dalgleish explains it he
http://contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Other alternatives...

In xl2003, you can apply data|filter|autofilter to the range and use the
dropdown arrow to sort your data.

Debra Dalgleish has a technique at her site that adds invisible rectangles in
the headers and then sorts the data by that field when you click on one of those
rectangles.

http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

On a sheet I need to sort constantly, I recorded a macro to select a named
range, like DataArea, and then sort using the parameters I put in place
during the recording (ignore header row, for instance). Works fine. Just one
thing: The named range has to include all my occupied cells. If I add rows
past the bottom of the named range, I have to redefine the range, then run
the macro.

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
I don't think it has anything to do with the "sharedness" of the file.

And what constitutes a "clearly defined header row" to you ain't
necessarily the
same way that excel looks at it.

Sometimes changing the font/boldness of the header will be enough.

But as a rule, I don't let excel guess at my range to sort--or if it has a
header. I think it's just to dangerous.

thebaldsoprano wrote:

On a shared doccuments why is it that sometimes excel always recognizes
my
data range has header rows and other times i've got to tell it i do
everytime. every doccument has a clearly defined header row. what am i
missing here?

thanks in advance for your knowledge.

--

Dave Peterson