Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

Default Can you edit your data set while it is autofiltered?

When you paste into a filtered list, the data is pasted into a
contiguous block of cells, not just the visible cells.

For example, you have rows 10, 20 and 30 visible after a filter.
You copy cells A1:A3 on a different sheet
You return to your filtered list, select the cell in row 10, and paste
Those 3 copied cells would be pasted into rows 10, 11, and 12

Instead of pasting into the filtered rows, perhaps you could type an X
in a new column, to mark the rows that you want to change.
Then, sort the table by the column with the X
When the rows are all together, do the copy and paste, then remove the X
marks.

KLynn727 wrote:
I recently had a large dataset in excel that I needed to add select
information to. I used autofilter to locate the rows I needed and then
entered the new information by cutting and pasting from another workbook. I
later found that the columns did not match up anymore - as if the columns had
been sorted separately. I did not sort any of the columns separately so the
only thing I thought it could have been was my use of autofiltering, but I
thought this was not supposed to alter your dataset? Help - I don't want
this to happen again!

Thanks!

--
Debra Dalgleish