Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default ALT+ENTER no longer works

On Mar 5, 5:26 pm, Dale wrote:
I am having the problem that ALT+ENTER does not insert a within-cell line
break as it should. It seems to be consistently missing across all
spreadsheets, and has been that way for some time, apparently irrespective of
cell formatting.

Are you sure that alt-Enter is not working from the keyboard? Or are
you saying that cells in which you had done alt-Enter no longer seem
obey the forced line break?

If the latter, two possible actions might help. First, select the
cell and press F2. Second, select the cell, go to Format - Cells -
Alignment and put a check-mark in Wrap Text.

I often encounter the situation where Excel seems to ignore the alt-
Enter character
(LF) that is clearly visible in the cell as a box character. I don't
know why that happens. But asserting Wrap Text fixes the problem
forever.