Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Countif forumulas that refer to more than one column

SUMPRODUCT is the function you need he
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5="writing")*(B1:B5="awaiting"))

Change the address ranges and text to match the pairings you want to count.
You can even use cell addresses in place of the "writing" and "awaiting"
portions of the formula, so you could have a pair of cells to choose them
from to have a single place to show counts based on what you have in them.

"Karl" wrote:

Hello,

Im trying to setup a worksheet which my department can use to track how
many jobs of each different kind it has on the go.

At the top of the worksheet, I want to build a section showing the number of
jobs outstanding by type (so, for instance, 2 writing jobs, 3 proofing jobs
and so on).

To do this, I have to get the cells in question to look at two columns. The
first column is a validated list of job types (copywriting, editing, subbing,
proofing). The second column shows the status of the job (awaiting
commission, in progress, submitted, approved).

What I want to do is write a formula that says the following:

Look a column b, if the value is €śawaiting commission€ť or €śin progress€ť,
check column a. If the value in column a is (for instance) €śproofing€ť, count
that cell.

Ive had a few goes, without success, can anyone help?

All and any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl