Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karl Karl is offline

Default Countif forumulas that refer to more than one column

Hello,

Im trying to setup a worksheet which my department can use to track how
many jobs of each different kind it has on the go.

At the top of the worksheet, I want to build a section showing the number of
jobs outstanding by type (so, for instance, 2 writing jobs, 3 proofing jobs
and so on).

To do this, I have to get the cells in question to look at two columns. The
first column is a validated list of job types (copywriting, editing, subbing,
proofing). The second column shows the status of the job (awaiting
commission, in progress, submitted, approved).

What I want to do is write a formula that says the following:

Look a column b, if the value is €śawaiting commission€ť or €śin progress€ť,
check column a. If the value in column a is (for instance) €śproofing€ť, count
that cell.

Ive had a few goes, without success, can anyone help?

All and any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl