Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
M.A.Tyler M.A.Tyler is offline

Default Match, Filter????

The only reason I need to use the entire column is to update the average. If
it was possible to save the average and the count as to how many cells were
used to compile it, I could delete sheet1! and start fresh each time. This
would cut the rows down from 65535 to about 2500. I would certainly be
interested if this were possible. That would help with the speed problem!

Thank you for your help and the formula.

Best regards,

M.A.Tyler

"T. Valko" wrote:

Are you really using the entire columns?

This formula will work but it will add to the calculation time that you
already mentioned is an issue:

Entered as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just
ENTER):

=AVERAGE(IF((W2:W65535="Red")*(X2:X65535="Blue")*( Y2:Y65535="Yellow")*(Z2:Z65535="Green"),H2:H65535) )

Biff

"M.A.Tyler" <Great Lakes State wrote in message
Need to Average cells H2:H65535, where corresponding cells in
W2:W65535="Red", X2:X65535="Blue", Y2:Y65535="Yellow" and
Z2:Z65535="Green".
Need to enter the formulas in Sheet2!S2:S100.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try rephrasing your question in terms like this:

I need to average cells A1:A100 where the corresponding cells in B1:B100
=
"this", C1:C100 = "this", D1:D100 = "this".

Biff

"M.A.Tyler" <Great Lakes State wrote in message
Hello,

I'm currently using page 1 of a work book as a data base. Not certain
thats
the best idea because opening, saving and calculating have become
slower
as
the information expands. This is not my real question, but any feed
back
will
be welcome.

So page 1 is the database, on page 2 some calculations. Would like to
include matching cells from column H that meet criterian held in
columns
W,
X, Y and Z (1 each). then I would need to add and average these cells.
Is
this possible to do in one step? Should I use a Index Match or would a
filter be the way.

Thanks, as always for the help!

M.A.Tyler