Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete Pete is offline

Default How to remove formatting from internet data

Tried what you suggested. Did 1, 2, and 4.......no luck. Where do I find
Notepad?

Pete

"Joel" wrote:

Ther are few was of doing this. You need to past text only. Try theses
suggestions. I gave you a lot of choices because I think some of the
formating you may want to keep and other you don't. Not sure which fomat
characters are in your data to give you only one option.

1) Copy the area again and do another paste. A square box with a clip board
will appear. Select different options options in this clip board.

2) copy the data into word and try the same thing with the clip board.
different options will appear in word than in excel. Then copy the data back
to excel.

3) this will always work, but you may loose the columns or rows. Copy the
data into Notepade. Then copy the data back to excel.

4) In word and excel on the Menu toolbar there is an option Paste Special.
Again try different options.
"Pete" wrote:

I copied some golf data from espn.com and when I paste it into Excel the
formatting is full of old dos characters (little boxes) that I cannot remove
using the "clear formts" function in Excel. How do I get rid of the unwanted
formatting?