Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis Dana DeLouis is offline

Default Excel 2007 labels in functions no longer supported!

Well, I suppose this is "better" ??

=Table1[[#This Row],[Price]]*2

but it was easier to read in 2003

=Price * 2

(Not using Named Ranges)

Changing subjects, if one does want to use Range Names, I don't see "Apply
Names" anywhere. I used that often in previous versions.
After 300 clicks on the "faster" Ribbon, I see I can add it to the "quick
access toolbar."
Funny, but my "quick acess toolbar" is getting very large.
--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Dana DeLouis" wrote in message
Hi. In Excel 2003, you will find "Labels in Formulas" as one of the
Excel's Options. (Tools | Options. I've uninstalled 2003 at the moment).
I believe you will find the replacement in 2007 under:
"Office Button" | Excel Options | Formulas | and check "Use Table names in
formulas."

what is meant by "label in formula".

A simple example: Suppose A1 has the text "Price", and formatted
differenly than the cells below it. (Say Bold)
Suppose A2:A10 have numeric prices.
A formula in B5 can be =Price, and the value returned will be the value in
A5.
It makes reading a little easier (=Price vs = A5)
Apparnelty, on big projects, this auto feature must have caused problems.
It appears in 2007, that you must use Data Tables for this feature to
work. I suppose it's "better" ??
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"forAbetterWorld" wrote in
message ...
thank you for the opportunity to eat some crow. Pressing ahead, may i
ask
what is meant by "label in formula". I started this game with Lotus
Symphony
in 1982. Presumably "label" and "name" are not synonyms with respect to
use
as cell reference in formula. Having pursued Help, i get no response to
search for "Labels in Formulas". So what is the basis of the threatening
message when opening a file: "Excel has detected that this file contains
labels in formulas. These are no longer supported in Excel 2007 and will
be
replaced with cell references. Your formulas will continue to work
correctly. You cannot undo this change. Do you wish to continue?" Name
manager appears to be properly managing names which i took to be
synonymous
with labels in the above imposing MS message. What is a "label" (as
opposed
to chart label or axis label...) and how can i find, in an opened file,
opting Yes to the message, the basis incurring the message?

"Niek Otten" wrote:

<i must face the challenge of uninstalling Excel 2007 and re-installing
the more capable Excel 2003

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Labels have always been warned for, mainly because they were poorly
implemented.
Use Defined Names instead. You probably won't have to change one
formula.
In the Formulas tab, Defined Names box, choose Create from selection.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"forAbetterWorld" wrote in
message
| Unbelievable! What BoneHead would fix a wiring problem by axing the
wire?
| Labels have been a tool for proper programming since they technically,
| thankfully could be supported. If some users do not want the benefit,
then
| make use of labels an option. More elegantly, Microsoft, fix the code
| adapting to mis-use of labels in formulas by offering more graceful
options
| for users to continue the pursuit with Excel. Having built a complete
and
| reliable Accounting System depending on properly labeled cell
references in
| formulas (for audit and debug), i am asked as i open a 2003 file in
the "NEW"
| 2007, TO SCRAP MY INVESTMENT IN PROPER SPREADSHEET PROGRAMMING, OR NOT
USE
| THE PRODUCT! UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!! Now i must face the
challenge of
| uninstalling Excel 2007 and re-installing the more capable Excel 2003.
This
| tryanny will be addressed. I encourage your support and efforts to
establish
| an Act of Congress for Regulation of Software Civility. GOD save
Earth!

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions