Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debi Debi is offline

Default how do I remove leading spaces and leave the remianing spaces

While the option from the data menu worked could you please explain How the
Replace function works as well as what each peice of the formula represents.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Debi wrote...
I am attempting to remove any leading spaces should there be any
within a range of cells
Example:

In Cell B16 " find the spaces"
in Cell B17 " Must leave other spaces"
In Cell B18 "May have no leading spaces"

The only spaces I would want to eliminate are the ones before
"find...." and "Must.."

With formulas,

=REPLACE(B16,1,FIND(LEFT(TRIM(B16),2),B16)-1,"")

This will remove only the leading spaces, not trailing spaces or
sequences of multiple spaces within the text.

With menu commands, select B16:B18, run Data Text to Columns, select
Fixed Width, click the Next button, remove *ALL* the break lines by
double clicking on them, then click the Finish button. This is a
useful Excel quirk when parsing single fields.