Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DocBrown DocBrown is offline

Default Dynamic List definition points to original file.

I'm having a problem with Dynamic range for a named list. I define a dynamic
range for a list that is referenced on a seperate worksheet as follow:

Refers to:
=OFFSET(Lists!$A$5,0,0,COUNTA(Lists!$A$4:$A$18),1)

The cell reference in the 'COUNTA' formula is because I have header rows in
the lists worksheet. A second 'Status' worksheet uses these lists in
validation to create dropdown lists.

When I copy both of the worksheets to another file, the list definition in
the 'Status' worksheet is automatically being updated to continue to point to
the original source file:

Refers to:
=OFFSET('[template.xls]Lists'!$A$5,0,0,COUNTA('[template.xls]Lists'!$A$4:$A$18),1)

The 'Lists' worksheet seems to have the original definition but is now
'local' (In the Define Name dialog, the worksheet name is visible to the
right of the list name.)

Now if the original file is closed, the lists stop working. What's going on
and how to I prevent Excel from automatically updating the list definition???

Thanks for any help,
John S.