Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar Elkar is offline

Default Extracting a numbers from a text string

Hmm... if the number could contain decimal places, then based on your
example, 3.90 would be returned (or perhaps even 108.579 if the number can be
greater than 10). I think we would need to find a better set of criteria
than "a number surrounded by spaces". Are there any other commonalities
amongst your data that we can work with? (ie.. total number of spaces, first
number from the right, etc...)

Or, perhaps if you posted some more examples of your data, we might be able
to see a useful pattern.

"IPerlovsky" wrote:

Thanks, that worked great! One caveat though - what if the number in question
comes with or without a "-" (negative sign) accompaniment (ie, "-8") and/or
the number that I am trying not to extract has a decimal behind it with up to
2 decimpal places (ie, "5.75")?

--
iperlovsky

"Elkar" wrote:

Based solely on the criteria you provided, this should work:

=MID(MID(A1,SEARCH(" ? ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)),SEARCH(" ? ",MID(A1,SEARCH(" ?
",A1)+1,LEN(A1)))+1,1)

HTH,
Elkar

"IPerlovsky" wrote:

How would I extract a number (or series of numbers) using a single cell
formula from an alphanumeric text string that also contains spaces? One key
component of the number(s) in question, is that they have a space on either
side. See the example of the text string below:

"A 544646-BA CALIF UN1MM+ 5 7/1/2017 FSA 108.579 3.90 3.82 8 Aaa AAA"

In this example, I am trying to extract the number "8". However, there is
also the number "5", which appears first, and that I want to avoid
extracting. Additionally, the formula should be able to extract any number,
not specific to "8" or "5". This formula should always skip the first single
number surrounded by spaces ("5" in this example) and extract the second
number(s) ("8" in this example).

--
iperlovsky