Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default sorting problem

Sweetpea

Check your data for leading spaces.

The data with leading spaces will sort to the top first.

i.e <spa and <spb will sort before a and b

<sp<spa will sort before <sa or a

Maybe in an adjacent column enter =TRIM(cellref) and copy down.

Sort on that column.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:52:14 -0800, sweetpea
wrote:

I am sorting a list with 493 rows, and when I sort it by Last Name ascending
it sorts A-Z but then midway through starts sorting the list over by A-Z so I
end up with three different groups of sorted dated within the same worksheet.
No duplicates but very annoying. When I look in the drop down arrow on the
column header it shows the entire list sorted correctly with all of the A's
together etc. instead of what the actual sheet shows. Any ideas out there to
fix it?