Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default 16 digit numbering

Thank you. I was thinking that I'd be hesitant to hand over my credit card
number to an organization that just kept my number in Excel with no security
measures.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"gls858" wrote in message
Onesimus wrote:
I work for a charity. We have an agency which collects new donors for us.
On a weekly basis, this agency sends me a spreadsheet file containing
data about the new donors which I import into our database.

One item of data they collect is credit card numbers as credit cards are
used to pay donations. Unfortunately, given that Mastercard and Visa card
numbers are 16 digits long, the credit card data we get back from the
agency always has the last value (the 16th number) as a zero. I am
assuming that Excel is accurate to 15 digits only. This means that, 9 out
of 10 times, I have to manually change the last digit in the database
after it has been imported from Excel.

Is there any way to get Excel to show a 16 digit number correctly and/or
is it possible to display a 16 digit number in 4 blocks of 4 as in 1234
1234 1234 1234 (preferably).

Just a word of caution here. Storing credit card info requires compliance
to the PCI Data Security Standards. Non compliance leads
to a risk you may not want to take. Do some searching on PCI Data
Security and you'll see what I mean.

gls858