Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Search row then column or column then row

Ok....

Would you like me to post a sample file or try to explain it all in writing?

Biff

"SteveT" wrote in message
Hi Biff.

Yes, it is all related to the same problem. I have been messing around
with
it trying various ways to get what I want and got stuck once again.

I am definitely interested in what you have figured out. Performance
isn't
a big issue because it is something that only has to be run once a month
and
I would rather have the computer sit and work for an hour then have to go
through all these records and manually create the lists.

Thank you so much for your help!

"T. Valko" wrote:

Hi!

I saw this post and it prompted me to work on your other post. I assume
this
post is related to that other post?

I have a solution to your other post but it is definitely not very
elegant,
but it works. It takes a few steps and uses a few formulas, one of which
is
somewhat complicated.

Is this a one time process? In your other post you said you had ~800
addresses and ~20 inspection dates. That means there are 16,000 possible
matches. 16,000 of these formulas will impact the performance of your
file.

Are you interested?

Biff

"SteveT" wrote in message
I am searching a talbe for dates that match a given month and ned to
find
the
row and column of the cells that match.
I have this array function...
=SMALL(IF(MONTH($C$5:$E$12)=$D$31,ROW($C$5:$E$12)) ,ROW(1:1))
It correctly returns all the rows whose dates match the right month

I have this array function...
=SMALL(IF(MONTH($C$5:$E$12)=$D$31,COLUMN($C$5:$E$1 2)),ROW(1:1))
It correctly returns all the columns whose dates match the right month

The problem is that the one returning the rows searches rows then
columns
report the data and the one returning the columns searches columns then
rows
to report the data. Is there a way to force one of them to look the
other
way?

Thank in advance for any help
Steve