Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter Del Cotter is offline

Default Controlling Gap Width for BAR Chart

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Fazi said:
I have the following data for example.

A = 2 , 3
B= 3 , 4
C = 4 , 5

I want to plot the data on the basis of first two values as mentioned
in the first example, but I want to control the width of the Bar from
the value given after comma.

You don't say what width you want the gaps between bars to be, so I will
assume 1 for all bars. Arrange your data like so:

[blank] Height Width Key
0 0
1 0 1 gap
1 2
4 2 3 A
4 0
5 0 1 gap
5 3
9 3 4 B
9 0
10 0 1 gap
10 4
15 4 5 C
15 0
16 0 1 gap

The top of the left hand corner, to the left of the "Height" label, must
be a blank empty cell, so delete my "[blank]" label, which is only there
for instruction. Now select *just the first two columns*, including the
"Height" column heading, and start the Chart Wizard. Select Chart
Type="Area", and continue on with the wizard until you have a complete
chart.

Now, it won't look right at first, but here's how you fix it. Go to
"Chart.. Chart Options.. Axes", and change the selection for the
Category (X) axis from "Automatic" to "Time-scale". Now your chart
should look right. The X axis labels are now in date format, so change
them back to plain numbers, formatted according to your preferences.

The first column is the cumulative width of all columns and their gaps.
I only include the third and fourth columns as a guide to show you how
the width works

--
Del Cotter