Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vezerid vezerid is offline

Default Custom Currency/Numerical Formatting?

Note that performing math on the number as you suggest storing it
would be meaningful only if 1gold=100silver, 1silver=100copper.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Feb 23, 9:11 pm, John Mann <John
wrote:
Info: I am trying to work with spreadsheets which contain numerical currency
found in a gaming application.

The format of their currency is ------gold --silver -- copper. Due to this
formatting, I would like to be able to further distinguish my numbers in the
spreadsheet presentation. This would be done by showing XXXXX.XX.XX,
utilizing two decimals.

I'm unsure of how to go about adding a custom formatting for dual-decimals,
while still retaining the ability to perform math on the number. For all
purposes, it's okay to store a number such as 1 gold 35 silver 20 copper as
13520 on the backend, as long as Excel shows this number as 1.25.20 to the
users' eyes. Since the silver and copper never goes above 99, it's the same
thing as 13520.

Question: Is there a way to create a custom currency formatting with retains
mathematical ability, but displays two decimals? If so, how would I do this?