Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default Copy and Paste Date - weird behavior

Look at Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ 1904 date system.
Be careful changing this, as you'll get data confused as it goes to and fro
between the two systems. The 1900 system is the default in the Windows
version of Excel, but 1904 is the default for the Mac. Are you sure it's
changed by 3 years, not 4?
If you've got dates that are confused but you've got the right setting of
the date system, put the number 1462 into a spare cell, copy, and paste
special/ add or subtract as appropriate.
--
David Biddulph

"matelot" wrote in message
I copied a cell containing dates to a new workbook and the date changes by
1
day and the year changes from 2006 to 2003. For example I have 1/20/2006
and
the new workbook shows 1/19/2003. I looked at the cell formats and I see
that
it's a date with an "*" in front of the format. Anyone knows why? How can
fix it so that it copies and pastes correctly.

Thanks