Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Andy Smith Andy Smith is offline

Default Conditional Formatting based on text?

Select the whole range, or even the whole row(s) or column(s) where you want
this conditional formatting, then do Format/Conditional Formatting.

In the upper let corner of the dialog box, change "Cell Value Is" to
"Formula Is". Now it expects a formula which evaluates to TRUE or FALSE
(although non-zero and zero will do). Any cell references in the formula are
subject to absolute and relative addressing, so if you chose all of Column A,
the formula should be:

=FIND("xyz",A1) 0

Then, if you select cell A2 and do Format/Conditional Formatting, you'll find:

=FIND("xyz",A2) 0

and so on for A3, A4, etc.
--

--Andy Smith

"KarenH" wrote:

Is it possible to implement conditional formatting based on text contained
in a cell? Example, user wants to be able to highlight all the cells in a
spreadsheet for a given entity (which will change all the time) so I'm
looking for something like "cell contains xyz" -- but as far as I can tell,
it works only with numeric values.

Am I trying to do something that is impossible?

Thanks in advance.